Friends. We’re in the last quarter of the year and it’s right about now that you’re probably starting to look back on what happened in 2018 while strategizing for 2019. And, in doing so, if you’re anything like me, you’re probably already saying, “phew, I’ve been busy!”
It’s been five solid months since I published here on my site and my very own space on the web. It also happens to be almost exactly a year since I gave birth to my youngest. For me, 2018 has been the year of trying desperately to figure out the balance between raising a toddler and a baby and finding my business owner sea legs again. And still, in the last year I’ve:
- Bought a travel trailer and ventured out on numerous camping trips for the first time ever (you can check out pictures from those trips on Instagram if you’re curious).
- Taken three business trips — one with a baby and a very generous grandma in tow — up to Salt Lake City.
- Celebrated birthdays and holidays in style.
- Ghostwritten numerous blog posts — some as long as 25,000+ words — on some pretty fascinating and substantial topics.
- Started my son in preschool (with a borderline unhealthy amount of tears on day one).
- Finished ghostwriting a manuscript for a realtor.
- Become more active in my church.
- Started a series in our local newspaper on motherhood, which I’m now moving here, to my corner on the web.
The list could go on and on. The point is, I’ve been busy. Overwhelmingly but beautifully busy. Still, even writing that feels like a total cop-out for abandoning this site and the joy of writing in my voice. This abandonment wasn’t because I haven’t had a ton of insights to share. I HAVE! The problem was, every time I came back to this spot, it no longer felt like me, so the time has come. I’m relaunching my blog! Here’s why and what’s in store.
A Change is On the Way
In March, on the first of those business trips up to Salt Lake City, I signed a contract with a client that gave me the courage and motivation to push pause and re-evaluate my business goals. I’d started the year trying to create a content marketing agency but the more I dug into what the future looked like for content marketing, the more I realized, freelance writing is about to take a huge and dramatic change. Although the idea of an agency seemed exciting, it wasn’t the passion project I’d anticipated it’d be. The more I realized where the content marketing world is heading, the more I realized I didn’t have the funds or knowledge to start the kind of content marketing agency businesses truly need.
Now, that isn’t to say I’m not working hard to skill up in these areas. And it’s not to say I don’t have a healthy headstart on this subset of marketing. I do. But as I explore where it’s going, what’s happening, and how businesses can tap into what’s ahead (artificial intelligence, I’m looking at you), I want to be able to openly share my findings with savvy business owners without trying to fit into a voice that just isn’t authentic.
There’s another BIG thing… I have no filter. I cannot, and never want to, hide the fact that I’m a proud mom to two incredible boys. Unfortunately, many parents feel like they have to pretend they don’t have children when they’re in the workforce. I’m thankfully starting to see that trend shift and I want to be on the leading edge of it. I want to proudly share what I learn about balancing parenting with entrepreneurship, and this is the best spot to do it.
And boy does it feel good! Here’s what you can expect from me going forward:
- My thoughts on motherhood (I’ll kickstart this by soon uploading a few of the articles I mentioned above that I recently wrote for my local newspaper, The Vail Voice).
- My insights on professional growth in a world that’s changing faster than we’ve ever experienced before (SO much exciting stuff happening in this arena).
- A few of my favorite contemporary finds/things to help make your life a little easier (because we all need life to be a little bit easier, don’t we?).
- General musings and journaling with potentially random ideas (like my new found love of camping) to help you walk alongside me as I pursue a more savvy life.
I have kinks to work out, such as the content on this website (don’t peek over there yet; it’s a mess) and making awkward adjustments back to where I started and away from my attempt at an agency model, but I wanted to start here. Here, on the blog and in the inbox (these posts are automatically sent via email when you sign up for my list because let’s face it, it saves time and it’s the meat of what you really want anyway), you’ll get regular updates on what’s happening behind-the-scenes over here in sunny Tucson, Arizona, what I’m learning, and how you can use it to continue creating a life you love.
Yes, I’m settling in back at home in my cozy sofa on the web, and packaging these insights and ideas up for you for free. Why? Because I love learning from others who are creating remarkable things. You too? Let’s start by connecting on Instagram or Twitter where we can share ideas, pictures, and stories in between posts. And sign up to receive your email when new ideas get published, so you never miss a thing.
I’m so glad you’re here.